Ottawa in 2017



Back to the index


Ottawa Marathon

The day before


For the fourth year in a row I decided to run the Ottawa marathon. And this year my daughter would join me and run in the half marathon.

My wife and I went on Saturday morning to the Canadian capital, we got my bib and my daughter's as well, because she would arrive later in the day.

After visiting the expo we went out for lunch at a nice restaurant near the fine arts museum. We liked the food very much and the location was also quite good.

At 3 pm we went back to the hotel (where we had left our car), got our room keys and went to our room.

It was a good room, large and with a very good view.

The 5K race would start at 4pm, so we stayed in the room to watch it. I liked it a lot that we could enjoy the race from above, from the comfort of our room.

When the 5K people all passed by our window, we got out: Rose went to the shopping center to buy a few things that she needed, I went to the car to get the other stuff that we had left there. 

At 6pm I got out of the room to see the beginning of the 10K race. There were more than 10K people participating in that race.

Our daughter arrived soon after 7pm. She said that the Spartan race that she had done earlier in the day had been quite good.

I stayed in the room, but my wife and daughter went out again, because they wanted to have dinner.


Race Day

I woke up at 5h30, had my breakfast and soon after 6h30 we went out to go to the starting line.

My wife and daughter went with me to the end of the starting line, where I did some stretching and warming up.

Ten minutes before 7am they went to the front to see the elite runners go out. When I passed by, she took a picture of me, of course.

The temperature at the beginning of the race was only 12C, ideal for running.

The first half of the race was quite good, the temperature was perfect, I could run well. I went as far as leaving the 4h30 people behind for quite a few kilometers. I did this first half in 2h09m, one of my best times for a half marathon.

But then it started to get warm, then hot and my running started to suffer quite visibly.

When I passed by km 27 I met my wife and her friend, whose husband was also competing. They took pictures of me.

Less than a kilometer after that a medic stopped me because I was obviously suffering with the heat. He even proposed to me to cut the way and do ten kilometers less. I declined, I told him I could do the full thing.

From that point on I walked more than I ran, I had nothing more left and the heat was unbearable.

By km 30 the 5h people passed me and there was nothing I could do about that.

By km 39, shame of all shames: the 5h30 people passed me!

I ended up finishing the race in 5h33m19s, one of the worst times ever for me.

My daughter did her half marathon in 2h00m26s, very impressive, considering the heat she had to run under.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Index

Jeux FADOQ 2015: 5 km

Athens in 2023