Jeux FADOQ - Finales provinciales







3K rapid walk

On September 14th, 2016, a Wednesday, I took the day off from work to take part in the provincial finals of the Jeux FADOQ in Lévis, QC. Unfortunately my wife could not be there with me due to her work, so I did the trip all by myself.

It rained on and off all day long, it was a bad day to be outside walking and running. A little after 11 am we finally did the 3K rapid walking. We were eight competitors at the start line, six men and two women. When we started the race, one of the participants started jogging and, of course, got a huge advantage over us who were doing the rapid walking. He was disqualified by the organizers after his first lap.

With him out of the way, I was in second place, right behind the leader. My goal was to keep with him as long as possible and if I still had some gas left at the end I would try to overcome him.

But unfortunately he started jogging when we were far from the organizers. He got a good advantage over me, there was nothing I could do about that. I continued with my rapid walking as best as I could.

He was not stopped as the other guy, so I thought he had successfully deceived the organizers. But when I finished my run (with a time of 20m23s) I heard people talking about two walkers being disqualified. There was some confusion and I didn't get a confirmation until the end of the day at the medal ceremony: those two had been disqualified and I was the winner! Yay!!

5K/10K combined race

I had registered for the two races: 5K and 10K. I was not sure how they would both be run in the afternoon. Then the organizers told me that they would be run at the same time. I was the only one registered for both. They started saying that I would have to choose, but then in the end I was allowed to run with two chips and my 10K run was also going to be valid for the 5K. A bit weird, but what can one do?

The 5K people started a few seconds in advance, I went with the 10K people. I knew one of the competitors from the qualifying race in Montreal, I knew he was faster than me, so I tried to stay with him for as long as possible. Eventually we both passed the 5K people and  the race was only between the two of us.

I stayed with him for four or five kilometers, but then I started getting tired and he continued as if it was just the start of the race. He won the 10K race with a three minute advance over me.

I won the 5K race with a time of 24m35s and finished second in the 10K with 50m56s.

It was a good day, despite the rain.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Index

Jeux FADOQ 2015: 5 km

Athens in 2023